Friday, December 12, 2008

Saved by the Moby Wrap!

Yes ladies and gentlemen it is indeed Baby Mama herself posting for the first time. My hands have been FREED finally thanks to the bizarre but wonderful Moby Wrap. The news: Julian has passed his birthweight (as of Tuesday, 6 days old, he was 7 lbs 15 oz) and acquired a bellybutton. Meanwhile, we parents have graduated to a night routine involving a very early bedtime, adequate snacks next to the nursing rocking chair, and our handy log for recording nursing times (and which side I finished with last) and my sleep-hours. 

The birth: the quick version is that we went in for our 41-week induction ready to do an unmedicated vaginal birth. Morgan and I had trained and practiced and were ready to go. 4 hours got me from 1 to 4 cm and I was very energized and not hurting too badly. But then we slogged through 8 hours locked at 4 cm-- the last 3 or so of which were so hard that I needed the narcotic to help me. We were a great team throughout. At that point our amazing doc said: OK, we may be heading for c-section here, so why not try the epidural because in some cases it can help women dilate, and worst things worst you can keep the epidural for your c-section. I said OK!! It sounded great at that point. The epidural gave me an amazingly wonderful break, and in 2 hours it allowed me to reach 7 cm! Then 2 more hours to 10 cm!! And then it was time to push-- and in 15 minutes little Julian made his entry into the world.

We love him so, so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys are doing well :) so that's great. Let me know if you need anything and/or if you're up for company or a babysitter anytime. Til then, take care, and post some more Julian pics please!!!
:) -Krysia